Monday, July 26, 2010

Confession.

I am a nerd.

I love poetry. LOVE it. Reading it, writing it, analyzing it...I have no words to describe to you how happy a good poem makes me.  So if you really despise all things poetic, stop reading now. This is your warning :)


My all-time favorite poet is Robert Frost. Even though some of his poems are long enough to be little novels, they are always simple and thoughtful, and often involve symbols or references to nature.  Naturally, my favorite poem is written by him.  It isn't VERY well-known, but some have heard of it.  It's called The Telephone.  Let me share:

"When I was just as far as I could walk
From here today,
There was an hour
All still
When leaning with my head against a flower
I heard you talk.
Don't say I didn't, for I heard you say--
You spoke from that flower on the windowsill--
Do you remember what it was you said?"

"First tell me what it was you thought you heard."
 
"Having found the flower and driven a bee away,
I leaned my head,
And holding by the stalk,
I listened and I thought I caught the word--
What was it?  Did you call me by my name?
Or did you say--
Someone said 'Come'--I heard it as I bowed."

"I may have thought as much, but not aloud."

"Well, so I came."
 
For all you choir buffs out there, you may have heard of the series Frostiana, which is a selection of Robert Frost's poems arranged into choral music.  The Telephone is part of that series, and my favorite rendition is done by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir...you can find it on their album Choose Something Like a Star.  For fun, you can hear a small 30ish second clip of it here. 

I just love this poem SO MUCH!!! It's so tender!  If you don't understand or appreciate the poem, that's alright. I won't be offended...I will just be a little sad on the inside that you can't enjoy it as much as me :)

2 comments:

Brandon Randall said...

I LOVE this poem (it was really cool to read through the words, since I haven't really taken time to do that), and this is totally one of my favorite tracks on that particular MoTab CD, which I have cherished for a while. :) And of course, I love poetry. So this post is officially amazing, in my eyes. Just FYI. :D

Lisa Payne said...

just so you know, that was a really horrible "confession"...everyone already knew that you're a nerd :)

The Soundtrack to My Life ....Ideally.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones